Kerry Spindler is an estate and tax planning lawyer, helping individuals and families to maneuver through sophisticated tax and charitable planning issues. She handles all aspects of estate planning, estate administration and trust administration.
Kerry is skilled at advising clients, including non-traditional families and same sex partners and spouses, on matters related to succession planning and wealth transfer. She advises her clients with respect to minimizing transfer taxes, probate avoidance, the creation of charitable legacies through private foundations and other means, and administering probate estates and trusts. She similarly counsels beneficiaries, and trustees and other fiduciaries.
Kerry also has significant experience in counseling nonprofit organizations and advises nonprofit entities in connection with corporate formation and application for tax-exempt status.
Prior to joining the firm, Kerry worked as a judicial intern for Associate Justice Herman J. Smith, Jr., Middlesex Superior Court. She also worked as a judicial intern to Federal Magistrate Judge Marian Payson.
Prior to attending law school, Kerry worked for more than a decade in philanthropy and the nonprofit cultural sector. She spent much of that time as an Arts & Culture Program Officer at The Heinz Endowments, where she operated within a three-person team to distribute more than $65 million in grants annually. During that period, she specialized in special project grant making to small- and mid-sized arts organizations, facilitating general operating support grants to large arts organizations, grants for arts-based community and afterschool programs, and grants for support of individual artists.
- Boston University Public Interest Law Journal
- 40 Under 40, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2001
- Uniform Rules on Public Access to Court Records Working Group, Committee Member, 2016
- Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Working Group, Committee Member, 2014-Present
- Boston Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section Steering Committee Co-Chair, 2019-present
- Boston Bar Association, Boston Bar Journal Board of Editors, 2017-2018
- Boston Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section Steering Committee, 2011-2016
- Boston Bar Association, Estate Planning Committee, Co-Chair, 2014-2016
- Boston Bar Association, Public Service Committee, Co-Chair, 2012-2013
- Boston Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section, New Developments Committee, 2010-2011
- Boston Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section, Communications Committee Co-Chair, 2010-2011
- Boston University School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Carnegie Mellon University (M.A.M., summa cum laude)
- Rochester Institute of Technology (B.S., summa cum laude)