Carla focuses her practice on employment litigation and counseling, and government and internal investigations. She has experience representing clients before state and federal courts and administrative agencies in cases involving claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, breach of post-employment restrictive covenants, and defamation.
In her employment counseling practice, Carla provides strategic day-to-day advice to employers on all phases of the employment relationship. She counsels clients on employment and severance agreements, personnel policies, compliance with anti-discrimination and anti-harassment laws, requests for accommodations and leave, compensation issues, restrictive covenants, and general litigation avoidance strategies. Carla also conducts trainings on topics such as discrimination and harassment prevention, pay equity, and implicit bias.
Carla has substantial experience with conducting and coordinating sensitive internal investigations of workplace misconduct. She has investigated reports of discrimination, sexual harassment, and retaliation on behalf of clients and as an independent investigator. Carla has also completed MCAD-certified courses on conducting internal investigations of discrimination complaints and preventing workplace discrimination and harassment.
Carla also counsels and represents clients in government investigations and enforcement actions. Her experience includes working with clients to mitigate the impact of investigations, inquiries and enforcement actions by the United States Department of Labor, the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the United States Department of Justice, the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, and the New York State Attorney General’s Office. She also has experience with Title IX investigations.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2015-2019
- Denis Maguire Pro Bono Award, Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association, 2018
- Pro Bono Award, Lawyers for Civil Rights, 2019
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity – 2020 Fellows Program
- Board of Directors, Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Section Steering Committee
- Public Interest Leadership Program, Class of 2017-2018
- Litigation Section Steering Committee, Membership Chair and Secretary (2014-2015)
- Women’s Bar Foundation
- Pro Bono Counsel, Family Law Project for Domestic Abuse Survivors
- Member, Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Black Lawyers Association
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- Boston College Law School (J.D., 2010)
- Union College (B.A., magna cum laude, 2008)