New York University, LL.M., 2000
Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 1996, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Touro College, B.S., 1992, summa cum laude
Abe Leitner is a Director in the Tax Group in the firm's New York office. He has planned numerous cross-border transactions for U.S. and foreign individuals and corporations. He has structured international joint ventures involving real estate investments in the United States and abroad and has advised multinational corporations on cross-border mergers and acquisitions. Abe has advised foreign governments, insurance companies, hedge funds, real estate developers, REITs, assisted living providers, manufacturers and high net worth individuals.
Prior to joining the Goulston & Storrs, Abe was a Partner at a leading Canadian law firm recognized for its focus on business law, and was based in that firm's New York office. He is also the former Chair of the Young IFA Network Committee, IFA USA Branch.
- Acted for Canada's largest Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) in its sale to Blackstone of its U.S. portfolio of 49 retail properties located in the Northeastern U.S. and Texas at a total sale price of $1.9 billion.
- Acted as Canadian and U.S. tax counsel to a Canadian based Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) engaged in the ownership and management of predominantly industrial properties in North America and Europe in its conversion under a plan of arrangement to an international stapled-unit REIT with an initial (NYSE/TSX) market capitalization of $1.8 billion. This company was the first REIT to qualify as a REIT for Canadian income tax purposes while holding both a Canadian and international portfolio; and also the first to achieve flow-through treatment for its U.S. portfolio by electing to be a partnership for U.S. purposes and utilizing a U.S. private REIT.
- Acted for a premier real estate investment management firm operating in Canada and the United States in its acquisition by Sun Life Financial Inc. for a purchase price of $560 million.
- Acted for a premier real estate investment management firm operating in Canada and the United States in its acquisition of Landon Butler & Co. and NewTower Trust Company, the investor relations and capital-raising firm and trustee of the Multi-Employer Property Trust, an open-end commingled real estate equity fund that invests in a diversified portfolio of institutional-quality real estate assets in the United States and has in excess of $6 billion in net asset value as of June 30, 2015.
- Acted as U.S. tax counsel for the second largest REIT and the largest diversified REIT in Canada in connection with a bought deal financing pursuant to which it issued $262 million aggregate principal amount of stapled units and convertible debentures.
- Acted as U.S. tax counsel for the second largest REIT and the largest diversified REIT in Canada in connection with a bought deal financing pursuant to which it issued $150 million aggregate principal amount of stapled units.
- Acted for a leading gold producer in connection with its $2.3-billion acquisition by Newmont Mining Corporation. The transaction was structured as a plan of arrangement providing for cash consideration and the spin off of shares of a new TSX-listed company holding exploration assets to the former shareholders of the client.
- Acted for a syndicate of underwriters led by two financial services and wealth advisory services companies in connection with a $69-million public offering of trust units of HealthLease Properties Real Estate Investment Trust, the net proceeds from which will be used to partially fund the acquisition of senior housing and care facilities in the United States and Canada.
- Acted for one of Canada's largest pension funds in connection with the acquisition of $15 million of shares of common stock of Landmark Apartment Trust Inc., an SEC-registered REIT.
- Acted in Canada and the U.S. for a syndicate of underwriters led by two investment banks in connection with the $114 million initial public offering of WPT Industrial REIT, Canada's only REIT focused exclusively on the U.S. industrial real estate sector.
- Acted for a syndicate of underwriters led by two financial services and wealth advisory services companies in connection with a $69-million public offering of trust units of HealthLease Properties Real Estate Investment Trust, the net proceeds from which were used to partially fund the acquisition of 13 senior housing and care facilities located in North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Former Chair, Young IFA Network Committee, IFA USA Branch
- Committee on Taxation of Business Entities, NYC Bar Association
- Foreign Activities of U.S. Taxpayers Committee, Tax Section of the American Bar Association
- Inbound U.S. Activities of Foreign Taxpayers and Outbound Foreign Activities of U.S. Taxpayers Committees, Tax Section of the New York State Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association
Awards and Recognition
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Who's Who Legal: Corporate Tax
- Abe participated in a panel at the Canadian Tax Foundation annual conference, speaking on the topic of U.S. anti-inversion rules and their impact on cross-border offerings.
- Abe participated in a panel on Foreign Tax Credits: Recent Developments and Practical Tax Cases in Mexico and the United States, at the University of San Diego – Procopio International Tax Institute. He also presented on tax implications of Foreign Corporations with U.S. Headquarters: “What Tax Exposure?” at the NYC International Tax Institute.
- Abe was a panel member of the Annual Conference of the USA Branch of the International Fiscal Association addressing the U.S. Model Treaty approach to hybrid entities. He was part of the panel at the Joint Meeting of the United States and Canada branches of the International Fiscal Association, addressing U.S.-Canada Cross Border Financing Structures. Abe was a member of the American Bar Association panel addressing the "Use of Derivatives to Avoid U.S. Taxation of Effectively Connected Income".