Commercial real estate transactions (retail, office, industrial and mixed-use) that involve properties located in New York City and throughout the country, including acquisitions and dispositions (one-off and portfolio transactions), commercial development, leasing and finance are the foundation of David Rabinowitz's extensive experience. Chambers USA reports that David is New York retail's "key contact." David, a Director in our Real Estate group, brings thirty years of experience to his practice and clients.
David also has widespread experience in the area of retail law, including the acquisition, sale and leasing of retail and mixed-use properties, lease restructurings, condominium developments (retail and mixed-use), acquiring and selling real estate assets (fee estates and leasehold interests in retail properties) in connection with bankruptcy proceedings, and counseling clients on lease issues (such as exclusives, radius restrictions, assignment/subletting and “going dark”) in anticipation of and during a lease dispute. His retail clients include some of the nation's largest “big box” retailers and shopping center developers. David is a co-Chair of the firm's Retail, Restaurant & Consumer Industry Group.
- International retailer in connection with the acquisition and ground lease of property in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including multiple leases in New York City for stores in excess of 100,000 square feet in to-be-built vertical development projects, and the acquisition of 85 acres of land for the development of a 300,000 square foot distribution facility in Maryland.
- New Jersey based shopping center owner in connection with the leasing of its shopping centers in New Jersey, New York and Virginia.
- Big box retailer in lease transactions across the country.
- New York based shopping center in connection with the leasing of its shopping centers in New York and New Jersey.
- Domestic merchandise retailer in connection with certain of its lease transactions across the country, including in New York and the surrounding area.
- Regional property owner/manager in connection with the development of property on Long Island and the leasing of its shopping centers.
- Real estate development and acquisition company in connection with the acquisition, leasing and sale of real estate development projects in the Northeast.
- Real estate developer in connection with the acquisition of 16 malls located in the Southeast.
- Private real estate investment company in connection with the bankruptcy of a large retailer.
- National retailer in connection with the restructuring of certain of its leases throughout the country.
- Private real estate investment company in connection with a restaurant lease in a building located in New York City.
- Retail dessert cafe in connection with its first restaurant in Manhattan.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, U.S. Law Conference Program Committee, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Member, Real Estate Board of New York
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized by Chambers USA: Guide to Leading Business Lawyers in the area of real estate law
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- New York Super Lawyer
- Named by The Best Lawyers in America in the area of real estate law
- "National Owner Owner/Investor Outlook," Moderator, Bisnow 3rd Annual NY Retail Real Estate Summit, April 2013
- "National Outlook," Moderator, Bisnow 2nd Annual NY Retail Real Estate Summit, June 2012
- "Lease Restructurings: Lessons Learned," ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, November 2010
- "Leasing for Non-Leasing Professionals," Presented Course at ICSC's Headquarters in NY, September 2010
- “Strategies To Consider In Restructuring Retail Leases," Presented Seminar to the ACREL Leasing Committee, December 2009
- “The Dirt on Ground Leases,” CLE sponsored by the Association of the Bar of New York City, November 2009
- "Tenants in Trouble/Alternatives for Landlords and Tenants to Consider," ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, October 2009
- "Retail Tenants in Trouble: Legal Issues and Options," CLE Panelist, sponsored by the American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, September 2009
- “Unique Legal Issues and Retailer Issues Presented by Mixed-Use Developments,” Conference on Mixed-Use Development, November 2008
- “The Dirt on Ground Leases,” CLE sponsored by the Association of the Bar of New York City, May 2008
- “Ten Things You Must Know About Big Box Leasing – Thinking Inside the Box,” Seminar at the International Council of Shopping Centers 2008 United State Shopping Center Law Conference, Hollywood, Florida
- “Unique Issues Presented by Lifestyle Centers,” General Session at the International Council of Shopping Centers 2007 United States Shopping Center Law Conference, San Diego, California