David Rabinowitz is a real estate lawyer with more than 30 years of experience. He focuses on commercial real estate transactions involving retail, office, industrial and mixed-use properties. In particular, he counsels developers and owners in connection with acquisitions and dispositions (one-off and portfolio transactions), as well as commercial development, leasing and finance matters.
David has widespread experience serving the retail industry, and Chambers USA calls him New York retail's "key contact." He frequently represents non-U.S. retailers with their expansions into North America, and he represents all kinds of retailers and owners in connection with the acquisition, sale and leasing of retail and mixed-use properties, lease restructurings, condominium developments (retail and mixed-use), the acquisition and sale of real estate assets (fee estates and leasehold interests in retail properties) out of bankruptcy, and counseling clients on lease issues (such as exclusives, radius restrictions, assignment/subletting and “going dark”) in anticipation of and during a lease dispute. His retail clients include some of the nation's largest “big box” retailers and shopping center developers.
David was also one of the first American lawyers to become an annual participant in MAPIC, a well-recognized, annual international retail property trade show in Cannes, France.
He is a founding editor of the firm’s well-recognized Retail Law Advisor Blog, which reports on timely and important trends and industry-related information valued by retailers of all types. Additionally, he is a contributor to Crains New York Business Real Estate Roundtable: The Future of Urban Retail.
David is also a Co-Chair of the firm's Retail, Restaurant & Consumer industry group and is a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
- Recognized by Chambers USA: Guide to Leading Business Lawyers in the area of real estate law
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2005-2011, 2013-2017
- Named by The Best Lawyers in America in the area of real estate law
- Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2017
- Member, U.S. Law Conference Program Committee, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Member, New York Deal Making Conference Program Committee, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Member, Real Estate Board of New York
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- Washington College of Law, American University (J.D., 1983)
- Rutgers College (B.A., with distinction, 1979)
- Phi Beta Kappa