Michael is a real estate attorney. He counsels land owners, developers, REITs and lenders in connection with the conveyancing, planning, development and financing of all types of commercial real estate projects. Michael has considerable experience in negotiating and drafting purchase and sale, construction, architectural, consulting and related contracts; condominium documents; construction and permanent financing documents; complex easement and cross-easement agreements; and ground leases, build-to-suit and other commercial leases.
- Representation of National Real Estate Advisors, LLC and The HYM Investment Group, LLC in connection with development of the approximately 2.9 million s.f. Bulfinch Crossing project, in Boston, MA (on the approximately 4.8 acre site of the former Government Center parking garage), including the creation of a tiered, phased, mixed-use, office, retail and residential condominium.
- Representation of Boston Properties, Inc. in the development, construction and financing of the over 1.5 million s.f. Hub on Causeway project adjacent to the TD Garden, in Boston, MA, including mixed-use, retail, office, hotel and residential elements, and an expansion of TD Garden and associated underground parking garage,
- Representation of IGT in connection with the sale-leaseback of an approximately 1.25 million s.f. design, research and development and manufacturing facility in Reno, NV.
- Representation of Northeastern University in connection with development and ground lease of an 800+ bed high-rise, apartment-style, residence hall on Burke Street in Boston, MA.
- Representation of Simon Property Group in connection with redevelopment of Copley Place, in Boston, MA, including its Residential Expansion and Retail Addition Projects, and the creation of a tiered, phased, mixed-use, office, retail and residential air rights lease condominium.
- Representation of the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority in development and ground lease of the combined 510 room Aloft Boston Waterfront Hotel and Element Boston Waterfront Hotel on D Street, adjacent to the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, in South Boston, MA.
- Representation of Harvard University in the development and ground leasing of an approximately 335,000 s.f. mixed-use, retail and 325-unit residential project at Barry’s Corner in Boston (Allston), MA.
- Representation of Boston Properties, Inc. in the creation of a tiered, mixed-use, office, retail and residential condominium at Atlantic Wharf, Boston, MA.
- Representation of New England Development in connection with design, consulting and construction contracts for the following (and many other) projects:
- Redevelopment of Palm Beach Marketplace, a retail shopping center in West Palm Beach, FL.
- Redevelopment of Chestnut Hill Square, a mixed-use, retail, residential and office project in Newton (Chestnut Hill), MA.
- Redevelopment of Pier 4, a mixed-use, retail and residential project in Boston (Seaport District), MA.
- Representation of Partners HealthCare System, Inc. and The Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Inc. in connection with the ground leasing from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and redevelopment of the Massachusetts Mental Health Center site on Fenwood Road and Vining Street in Boston, MA for use, including by the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health, as an approximately 550,000 s.f. mixed-use, office, clinical, research and mixed-income residential project and mental health care facility.
- Representation of Northeastern University in connection with design and construction contracts for construction of the Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building in Boston, MA.
- Representation of Joslin Diabetes Center, Inc. in connection with construction contract for construction of the Translational Center for the Cure of Diabetes in Boston, MA.
- Representation of Boston Properties, Inc. in the acquisition and further development of The Prudential Center, Boston, MA, the largest (over 3.5 million s.f.) mixed-use facility in New England, including:
- Development and leasing of 890,000 s.f. office building at 111 Huntington Avenue.
- Development and sale of The Belvedere Condominium at 100 Belvedere Street.
- Development and leasing of Shaw’s Supermarket at 53 Huntington Avenue.
- Development and sale of The Mandarin Oriental Boston Hotel and Residences at 776 and 778 Boylston Street.
- Development and leasing of the Exeter Residences, a high rise residential apartment project at 77 Exeter Street.
- Development of 425,000 s.f. office and retail building at 888 Boylston Street.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Pro Bono work for All Hands Volunteers, Inc. and RAW Art Works, Inc.
- Member Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Real Estate and Environmental Law Curriculum Advisory Committee, 2006 to present
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2018
- Best Lawyers, Boston Real Estate Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- Named one of “The Best Lawyers in America”
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV PreeminentTM