Jim Wallack is a bankruptcy lawyer who leads the firm’s nationally recognized Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group.
He has extensive experience in complex Chapter 11 reorganizations, workouts and transactions involving distressed assets. A primary focus of his practice is the representation of private equity firms and their underperforming portfolio companies.
Jim is known nationally for his industry expertise involving the acquisition and disposition of troubled real estate assets, and his work with retail and consumer products companies.
Recognized by Chambers USA as "brilliant and tenacious" and “one of the best lawyers in the area…A practical lawyer with a great deal of experience and wisdom who is highly respected in Court,” Jim represents borrowers, debtors-in-possession, purchasers, investors, secured lenders, unsecured creditors’ committees, and landlords in bankruptcy proceedings in New England, New York and throughout the U.S.
Jim is a Fellow with the American College of Bankruptcy. This honorary public service association of bankruptcy and insolvency professionals invites only the top bankruptcy lawyers to join as Fellows based on a proven record of the highest standards of professionalism plus service to the profession and their communities.
- Chambers USA, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Massachusetts, 2004-2022 (Band 1)
- Lawdragon 500: Top U.S. Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers, 2020, 2022
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Best Lawyers in America® (2006-2023): Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization, Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2020
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- American College of Bankruptcy
- Turnaround Management Association of the Northeast, Past President
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- District of Columbia
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1980)
- Northwestern University (B.A., 1977)
- Phi Beta Kappa