Matt Hillery is a trusts & estates lawyer. His practice focuses on estate and tax planning for wealthy individuals and families, trust and estate administration, the formation and operation of nonprofit charitable organizations and issues relating to charitable giving.
He works with families to produce estate plans that both optimize tax planning and accomplish non-tax family goals, including asset preservation and family business succession.
Matt advises individual clients on trusts and estates and tax planning matters both in the United States and abroad. These clients include business owners, investors, professionals and trust beneficiaries, as well as large banks and trust companies serving as fiduciaries.
He also counsels foreign-born individuals who immigrate to or invest in the United States, as well as Americans who reside outside the country, helping these clients to deal with U.S. tax and estate issues that apply to them.
With respect to charitable giving, Matt advises institutional and individual clients on charitable gift planning strategies. He forms a variety of charitable organizations, and advises nonprofits on governance and planned giving issues.
- Named "Massachusetts Rising Star" by the National Law Journal, 2014
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014-2016
- Member and Past Co-Chair of the Trust & Estate Section's Practice Fundamentals Committee and Public Policy Committee, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Planned Giving Group of New England
- Member, Boston Estate Planning Council
- Member, Trusts & Estates Consortium
- Member, Harvard Student Agencies Alumni Graduate Board
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2004)
- Harvard College (A.B., magna cum laude, 2000)