Cleaning Up the Commonwealth: Introduction to Redeveloping Brownfields Sites
Brownfields redevelopment creates economic, environmental, and public health benefits. While these sites often require special considerations, properties with varying levels of contamination are frequently located where there is existing infrastructure, workforce, and other amenities, making them an attractive investment for developers willing to reactivate the property.
Director Ned Abelson will join NAIOP as an instructor for this virtual introductory seminar designed to give students the foundation they need to navigate brownfields redevelopment. The course will cover:
- History of brownfields redevelopment in Massachusetts;
- Overview of environmental regulatory framework – the Massachusetts Contingency Plan (MCP);
- The role of the Licensed Site Professional;
- Due diligence considerations and other risk management techniques;
- Available legal and financial incentives;
- Planning and implementation to address both development and environmental remediation; and
- How to manage costs and navigate the unexpected.