Brian M. Cohen is a Director in the firm's Real Estate group. Brian's practice focuses on representing owners, purchasers, investors and lenders in commercial real estate and other asset-based transactions, including the acquisition, disposition and development of office, retail hotel, and multifamily properties; commercial mortgage, mezzanine and construction financing; joint ventures; loan purchases, sales and restructurings; and secured and unsecured credit facilities and related capital markets transactions. He also represents landlords and tenants in commercial leasing transactions.
Prior to joining Goulston & Storrs, Brian was a partner at an Am Law Top 100 U.S. law firm. Brian was previously the general counsel of Kushner Companies, a diversified real estate owner, manager and developer where he also served as general counsel of The New York Observer, a print newspaper and on-line media outlet.
- Representation of private investors in connection with the development of a 51-story ultra-luxury condominium project in midtown Manhattan involving the combination of multiple lots and air rights purchase and related $445 million financings.
- Representation of an investor syndicate in connection with the acquisition, mortgage and corporate mezzanine financing and investment in an assemblage site of approximately 20,000 square feet in Soho.
- Represented an investment group in connection with a secured revolving credit facility and related capital markets investment platform.
- Represented a China-based insurance company in an equity interest purchase of a 65-story Class A office building.
- Representation of a private equity firm in connection with a $32 million bridge mortgage loan and subsequent modification in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn.
- Representation of a real estate developer in connection with a $100 million joint venture to develop a mixed-use residential and retail development property with 141 rental apartments in the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn.
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with a $31 million bridge loan and related equity participation.
- Representation of a publicly-traded financial insurance company in connection with its successful settlement of claims related to over a billion dollars in residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Representation of a commercial real estate brokerage firm in connection with a 40,000 square foot Manhattan office lease.
- Representation of a not-for-profit corporation in connection with a $40 million transaction resulting in the purchase, financing and refinancing of an 11-story office building at 509 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.
- Representation of a real estate sponsor in connection with the $29 million disposition of income-producing multifamily properties in New York City, following prior representation for the acquisition, financing and joint venture of these properties.
- Representation of a real estate sponsor in connection with the $15.4 million purchase of four income producing multifamily apartment buildings in Harlem, NYC.
- Representation of a real estate sponsor in connection with the $21 million sale of an apartment building in Brooklyn, New York.
- Representation of a private real estate investor in connection with the joint venture acquisition of a mixed-use property in the Tribeca neighborhood of Manhattan.
- Representation of an investment group in connection with the acquisition, disposition, joint venture and financing of multiple properties fully leased to the General Services Administration in Philadelphia, PA, Omaha, NE and Walnut Creek, CA.
- Representation of a hospital affiliate in connection with the $22 million sale of four multi-family buildings (381 units) in Brooklyn.
- Representation of a senior care nursing operator in connection with the sale of a 120-bed senior skilled care nursing facility in Massachusetts.
- Representation of a privately held real estate company in connection with the purchase of a $13.5 million distressed promissory note from the now defunct Brooklyn Federal Savings Bank, secured by a mortgage on a development site in Long Island City, Queens, New York.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board of Directors, Jewish Community Relations Council of New York
- Volunteer, UJA-Federation of New York
- Legal Committee, Jewish National Fund
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Peer-Review Rated AV PreeminentTM
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2011 - 2016
- Legal 500, 2014-2015
- UJA-Federation of New York Volunteer Service Award, 2009
- UJA-Federation of New York Lawyer's Division James H. Fogelson Award, 2005