Josh Davis's practice focuses on working with employers in employment law and related litigation. In addition, Josh provides counsel to companies facing difficult human-related challenges. His clients include law firms, media companies, automobile dealerships, financial services firms, pharmaceutical companies, and non-profit entities. Chambers USA reports that “Josh is a very pragmatic counselor: he listens well, understands what companies' true goals are and how to find the right solutions.” In addition to labor and employment cases, Josh has broad experience handling appeals in the state and federal courts.
Josh frequently teaches a course at Northeastern University School of Law on Employment Discrimination and appears regularly in federal and state courts and has particular expertise in appellate matters. Josh also appears regularly on the radio. Most recently, he hosted a Sunday night talk show on 96.9 FM in Boston. Josh is an active blogger covering a wide range of topics. WBUR, Boston's National Public Radio news station and website, has included Josh among its distinguished group of contributors on Cognoscenti, its online opinion page.
- Representing employers in defense of claims of discrimination and other employment practice issues in court and administrative agencies throughout New England.
- Providing workplace training to employers and employees in a wide range of settings and topics.
- Providing counsel to clients in the financial services sector facing employment-related challenges in connection with regulatory inquiries and litigation.
- Representing employers in federal and state court, before arbitrators, and in administrative agencies in all types of employment matters including claims under the anti-discrimination laws, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and whistle blower provisions of the state and federal statutes.
- Representing employers in cases involving trade secrets, covenants not to compete, and non-solicitation provisions.
- Advising numerous national employers on compliance with their obligations under the federal WARN statute and participating in the successful defense of claims alleging non-compliance with the statute.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Employment Law Council
- Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations
- Strafford Employment Law Advisory Board
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law
- Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management
- Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management
- "America's Leading Business Lawyers," Chambers USA
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer
- Order of the Coif
- National Champion, American Parliamentary Debate Association, 1987
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) 16th Annual Employment Law Conference, “Discrimination Law Update,” Boston, December 2013
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) Seminar, “Proving & Valuing Damages in Employment Cases,” Boston, September 2010
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) Seminar, “Legal Implications of Social Networking,” Boston, August 2009
- American Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, “A Litigator’s View of EH&S Compliance – Learning from and Avoiding Problems,” Boston, 2009
- Harvard University Faculty and Administrative Board, “Investigating Claims of Sexual Assault on Campus,” Boston, October 2008
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) Seminar, “Conducting and Using Internal Investigations,” Boston, March 2008