Josh is an employment lawyer and litigator. He provides counsel to companies facing difficult human-related challenges and acts as lead counsel in a wide range of business disputes. His clients include hospitals, law firms, media companies, automobile dealerships, financial services firms, pharmaceutical companies, non-profit entities, golf clubs, and individuals. Chambers USA reports that Josh is a 'really, really smart, good and effective lawyer.' Chambers also states 'Josh is a very pragmatic counselor: he listens well, understands what companies’ true goals are and how to find the right solutions.' They call out, specifically, his handling of employment litigation and employment-related advice. Josh has broad experience with appellate matters in the state and federal courts across a wide variety of subject matters.
Josh teaches Employment Discrimination at Northeastern University School of Law. Josh also appears regularly on the radio. Years ago, he hosted a Sunday night talk show on 96.9 FM in Boston. In addition, Josh writes about a wide range of topics. WBUR, Boston’s National Public Radio news station, includes Josh among its distinguished group of contributors on Cognoscenti, its online opinion page. His passion for politics and conversation on issues of the time stems from his days at Swarthmore College, where Josh led the Peaslee Debate Society to a U.S. national championship and second place at the World Debating Championships, becoming only the second American team at that time to reach the world championship finals.
- Represents employers in class actions challenging wage practices, employee classification, and other employment practices.
- Successfully defended an automobile dealership accused of religious discrimination in a multi-day public hearing at the MCAD.
- Obtained summary judgment on all counts for two financial services firms in a hotly-contested whistle-blower case in San Francisco Superior Court.
- Provides day to day employment counseling to entities of all types and sizes in matters ranging from hiring and firing to leave laws and accommodations.
- Represented a large group of physicians and their employer in a dispute occasioned by their decision to leave a large Independent Physicians Association.
- Consults on perplexing employee matters including: harassment; inappropriate workplace relationships; vindictive former employees; and inappropriate use of social media.
- Offers broad advice to entities on the employment and labor considerations raised by corporate transactions.
- Providing counsel to clients in the financial services sector facing employment-related challenges in connection with regulatory inquiries and litigation.
- Counsels employers considering retaining employees subject to restrictive covenants and represents companies in litigation concerning restrictive covenants.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Employment Law Council
- Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations
- Strafford Employment Law Advisory Board
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management 2008-2017
- Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management 2008-2017
- "America's Leading Business Lawyers," Chambers USA
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2006-2016
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2005
- Order of the Coif
- National Champion, American Parliamentary Debate Association, 1987
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) 17th Annual Employment Law Conference, "Discrimination Law Update," Boston, December 2014
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) 16th Annual Employment Law Conference, “Discrimination Law Update,” Boston, December 2013
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) Seminar, “Proving & Valuing Damages in Employment Cases,” Boston, September 2010
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) Seminar, “Legal Implications of Social Networking,” Boston, August 2009
- American Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, “A Litigator’s View of EH&S Compliance – Learning from and Avoiding Problems,” Boston, 2009
- Harvard University Faculty and Administrative Board, “Investigating Claims of Sexual Assault on Campus,” Boston, October 2008
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) Seminar, “Conducting and Using Internal Investigations,” Boston, March 2008