Karen O’Malley is a Director in the firm’s Real Estate group. She brings over 18 years of experience in real estate to clients in the areas of acquisition, permitting, financing and leasing of all types of commercial properties. Karen focuses her practice on retail and office leasing. In her retail practice, she represents landlords in leasing to national, regional and local tenants, anchor and junior anchor retailers, entertainment facilities and restaurants in transportation-centered projects, mixed-used developments and redevelopments, enclosed malls and lifestyle centers. In her office practice, Karen represents landlords and tenants in a variety of office buildings, including corporate headquarters and mixed-use developments.
- Retail leasing representation for enclosed mall, lifestyle and mixed-use projects.
- Office leasing representation for mixed-use properties.
- Representation of nationally recognized REIT in office leasing for properties located in suburban areas and central business districts of major metropolitan markets.
- Representation in connection with the leasing of 357,000 square feet of corporate headquarters office space to Biogen Idec at Weston Corporate Center in Weston, MA for Boston Properties.
- Representation in connection with the leasing of 450,000 square feet of office space to one of the largest private, independent investment management company for Boston Properties.
- Representation of a major life insurance company in the disposition of the Hancock Tower and other buildings in the Back Bay of Boston.
- Representation of a neighborhood development corporation in the acquisition, development, financing and leasing of affordable housing, mixed-use, and transportation-oriented developments in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston.
- Representation of a major real estate developer in the expansion of the Prudential Center in Boston, including local, state and federal permitting for an 11-story residential retail mixed-use building and a supermarket.
- Representation of a retail chain in the disposition of its portfolio of properties in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, CREW Boston (formerly NEWIRE)
- Board of Advisors, Victim Rights Law Center
- Founding Member, Victim Rights Law Center
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Editorial Board, Shopping Center Legal Update, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Peer to Peer Speaker, "Will Your Lease Stand Up When The Roof Falls Down," International Council of Shopping Center Law Conference 2016
- Invited Attendee, Georgetown University Law Center, Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, 2016
- CREW National Convention, Fall 2014
- Workshop Speaker, "Noises, Vibrations and Odors – Oh My! Restaurant Uses in Mixed-Use Developments," International Council of Shopping Center Law Conference 2014
- Seminar Speaker, "Allocation of Risk: Insurance, Indemnity and Casualty Provisions – What’s in Your Policy," International Council of Shopping Center Law Conference 2013
- Greater Boston Real Estate Board, Commercial Brokers Association, January 2011