Estate and tax planning and non-profit law are Kerry Spindler's focus. Prior to joining the firm, Kerry worked as a judicial intern for Associate Justice Herman J. Smith, Jr., Middlesex Superior Court. She also worked as a judicial intern to Federal Magistrate Judge Marian Payson. Kerry Spindler is an Associate in our Private Client & Trust group.
Prior to attending law school, Kerry worked for more than a decade in philanthropy and the non-profit cultural sector. She spent much of that time as an Arts & Culture Program Officer at The Heinz Endowments, where she operated within a three-person team to distribute more than $64 million in grants. During that period she specialized in grantmaking to small- and mid-sized arts organizations, arts-based afterschool programs, and individual artists. She also developed expertise in financial analysis, project planning, strategic planning, and evaluation.
- Creating estate plans for purposes of succession planning, tax planning, and avoidance of probate, including plans for same-sex partners and spouses.
- Creation of family limited liability companies to facilitate business succession and estate planning goals.
- Estate administration.
- Obtaining appointment of Guardians and Conservators.
- Representation of non-profit entities, including corporate formation and application for tax-exempt status.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Boston Bar Association, Public Service Committee, Co-Chair, 2012
- Boston Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section, New Developments Committee, 2010-2011
- Boston Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section, Newsletter Committee Co-Chair, 2010-2011
Awards and Recognition
- Boston University Public Interest Law Journal
- Boston Bar Association and Trusts & Estates Consortium, Co-Presenter, "Drafting Estate Planning Documents After the Enactment of the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code," June 2009 and October 2009