Environmental issues associated with real estate transactions, corporate mergers and acquisitions, financings and urban/industrial redevelopment are at the center of Bill Seuch's practice. A substantial part of his practice involves helping developers, buyers, sellers, tenants and lenders understand, anticipate and manage Brownfields issues. He also represents clients in cost recovery actions and advises clients on a variety of environmental compliance and permitting issues. In Chambers USA, Bill is called "unstoppable" and is praised for his "vast substantive knowledge, creativity, excellent judgment and sophisticated and practical understanding of the area." Bill is a Director with the firm.
- National representation of leading multifamily housing developers in connection with environmental due diligence, the acquisition, development and sale of contaminated parcels, regulatory compliance, environmental risk management (including vapor intrusion issues), and environmental insurance issues (policy placement and claims).
- Representation of Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in connection with various environmental issues, including the redevelopment of previously contaminated properties, environmental insurance, and issues associated with contaminated building materials.
- Representation of Boston Children’s Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in connection with various environmental issues, including environmental due diligence, drafting complex purchase and sale agreements and ground leases, environmental risk management, air emissions issues, and pharmaceutical waste issues.
- National representation of Beacon Capital Partners in connection with environmental due diligence and environmental issues arising in connection with property management and redevelopment.
- Representation of the Boston Redevelopment Authority in connection with the new Boston Convention and Exhibition Center project, the former Modern Electroplating site, and the acquisition of a former waterfront oil terminal, including environmental due diligence, cost recovery negotiations/litigation, Massachusetts Contingency Plan (“MCP”) regulatory guidance (e.g. securing “Special Project Status”) and environmental risk management work.
- Ongoing representation of Boston Properties in connection with the purchase and subsequent commercial redevelopment of previously contaminated properties, including a former petroleum distribution facility, and a former asphalt batching plant (e.g., consultant management, MCP regulatory guidance, advice regarding lender requirements and environmental insurance).
- Representing a seller in connection with the sale of a manufacturing facility, including contractual risk allocation and the implementation of an Activity and Use Limitation (i.e., an environmental deed restriction).
- Representation of plaintiffs in environmental cost recovery actions.
- Advising a lender in connection with a $30 Million revolving credit facility secured by several large aluminum manufacturing plants.
- Ongoing representation of a buyer in connection with the purchase of several parcels associated with the Industri-Plex Superfund site, including negotiations with MADEP, USEPA and the U.S. Department of Justice regarding Prospective Purchaser Agreements and environmental deed restrictions.
- Representing building owners, including a former owner of Ruggles Center, in connection with indoor air quality issues.
- Representing an owner in connection with the construction of retail complexes on top of a landfill, including advice regarding “closure requirements,” lender requirements and potential environmental liabilities.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Pro Bono environmental work for a number of non-profit and affordable housing groups
- Newton Youth Sports - coaching YMCA Basketball, NAA Basketball and Newton Youth Soccer (travel and intramural)
Awards and Recognition
- "America’s Leading Business Lawyers," Chambers USA 2006-2015
- Practical Law Company Guide for Environmental Lawyers, 2011
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004, 2006 - 2015
- Best Lawyers in America, 2010-2017