Emerging Technologies & Venture Capital
The Goulston & Storrs Emerging Technologies & Venture Capital Group counsels entrepreneurs and venture capital firms on the legal, business and financial needs related to forming and growing early stage, innovative businesses. We assist US and non-US based firms investing funds locally and abroad including Europe, China, India and Israel. Our clients operate throughout the Northeast and beyond. Their businesses span many industries including high technology, software, communications, semiconductor, Internet, retail and consumer, medical devices and biotechnology.
We support emerging technology companies through a streamlined approach to developing businesses. We recognize that practical and effective guidance can be particularly valuable to entrepreneurs and early stage investors. Attorneys selectively draw upon unique experiences from throughout the firm in areas such as commercial finance, corporate, cross-border, employment & labor, innovation development & licensing, intellectual property, mergers & acquisitions, international trade, real estate, retail, securities and tax. We are active in organizations that promote entrepreneurship and innovation.
Among the areas in which we assist our clients, services include:
- Entity formation and initial founder arrangements
- Equity incentive plan design and implementation
- Common and preferred equity and convertible debt financing by angel investors and venture capitalists
- Intellectual property licensing, distribution agreements and other commercial agreements
- Co-development and joint venture agreements
- Board process and other corporate governance matters
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Public offerings
- Technology transfer
Representative Projects and Transactions
- Represented Rue La La, an online retailer, in its sale to a public company.
- Represented founders in the formation and financing of a venture incubation business and subsequent portfolio company organization and investments.
- Represented innovative real estate credit scoring start-up in its organization and seed financing from prominent venture capital firm.
- Represented China-based educational game company in three rounds of venture capital funding.
- Represented venture investor group in its investment in a Boston area-based company developing innovative flame-retardant technologies.
- Represented Internet customer relationship company with an Israeli-based R&D subsidiary in restructuring, venture capital investing, trademark, employment and general corporate matters.
- Represented developer of electronic design automation software in several rounds of venture capital financing, licensing, distribution agreements, acquisition of UK-based business, trademark, employment and other matters.
- Represented developer of innovative semi-conductor manufacturing processes and circuits in, angel and venture capital financings, co-development agreements and other general corporate work.
- Represented venture fund in investments in innovative paint company and personal products company.
- Represented German venture fund in investments in US software companies.